October 30, 2011

Stamptacular Sunday Challenge #136 "Borders and Frames!"

With snow flying here in New England, I'm really looking forward to crafting some Christmas cards!  There's no denying it now -55 days left until that jolly, old elf arrives down the chimney!

The challenge this week at Stamptacular Sunday, is to create a card that includes at least one border and/or frame on it. This may be ANY theme. This time of year, your options are endless!  Be creative, but please don’t forget to stamp.  We are STAMPtacular after all!

Here is my design team card and what I chose to do.
My first thought was to use a punch or a stamp for the border element.  When I looked in my stash of Christmas cardmaking goodies, I found my beloved Tim Holtz On the Edge Snow Flurries die.  Oh how I missed thee! This was to be my inspiration for my card.  I LOVE snowflakes and decided to do a whole theme on them as a Christmas card.

Now to choose a color palette.  Well, I've always loved China blue and gold, and it's so trendy now everywhere you look, so I went with it!  I used Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Broken China to get inky everywhere on the card.

I knew I wanted some fancy, schmancy snowflakes as the main decorative element on the card front, so I used my war horse, my Silhouette die cutting machine.  From the Studio library, I chose two different kinds from a "four pack" and manipulated them until I got what I wanted.  Ah, the beauty of a great tool!  I distressed them in the Broken China ink too, then over-stamped them using Hero Arts Old Letter Writing in Versamark Sahara Sand ink. Those were sprayed with Glimmer Mist, as was the snowflake border.

One of the final details was the hand-dyed rayon seam binding.  I wasn't sure if I wanted it smooth or crinkly.  I decided I liked the clean, elegant appearance of a full, smooth bow.  I tied it off with waxed twine and added one of my vintage buttons. (Seen HERE) I topped it with a simple, white pearl.  Oh, and that gold embossed sentiment was originally one whole stamp, but I divided it into two, to make it work for my card!

Our sponsor for this week is -
 
Don't forget to check out the cards from the other Design Team ladies. They are AMAZING!

Challenges I'm entering this card in:
Lily Pad Cards Texture Challenge 
Stamps - Hero Arts CL551, CG887, S4878
Cardstock - Bazzill
Inks - Tim Holtz Broken China Distress Ink, Versamagic Sahara Sand
Die - Tim Holtz Snow Flurries On the Edge Die, Silhouette Die Cutting Machine 4 Snowflakes
Other - Ranger Gold Ultra Fine embossing powder, Glimmer Mist, rayon seam binding, twine, pearl, vintage button 

Thanks for looking!!
Pin It

No comments:

Blogging tips